Our School
 
   
School Profile  
   
The Mission of Our School  
The Mission of the York Region District School Board is that "we unite in our purpose to inspire and prepare learners for life in our changing world community."
 
In order to support the Board's mission, Markham D.H.S. is guided by the following:  
   
Vision  
By pursuing excellence, embracing diversity, fostering a passion for learning and modelling positive character, Markham District High School strives to develop independent thinkers and contributing members of society.
 
   
Goals  
1. Strive for excellence in everything we do.
2. Provide a variety of programs to meet the individual needs of our students.
3. Provide a variety of sports, clubs and activities.
4. Communicate effectively with students, parents/guardians and the community.
5. Make expectations for students clear and visible.
6. Treat students positively and fairly.
7. Encourage expected behaviours, attitudes, values and life skills.
8. Recognize contributions and achievements of staff and students.
9. Provide an inviting, pleasant and safe environment.
10. Endeavour to make use of the diversified talents and backgrounds of staff and students.
11. Effectively team staff, students, parents and community to deliver a meaningful, quality education.
 
   
History  
Secondary school education officially began in Markham Village when the County Council of York passed a by-law authorizing the establishment of a grammar school. This came into being in January, 1858, with Dr. Edward T. Crowle as the first headmaster. Since there was no school building, quarters were rented in Temperance Hall, on the site now occupied by the Markham Lawn Bowling Club. During the first year, sixty-three students were registered.
 
In 1860, land was purchased on Joseph Street, and a new one-room brick Grammar School was built. When four rooms were added in 1892, the original building became the science laboratory.
Towards the end of the century, there was a constant lack of classroom space. Alterations in 1924 provided changes in entrances, heating and corridors. In 1927, indoor washrooms were installed. The year 1952 marked the establishment of the present Markham High School District, which comprises approximately the south-east half of Markham Township. In April, 1953, the construction of the present school on Church Street began. In September, 1954, a modern, three hundred pupil Secondary School was opened.
 
Markham D.H.S., in 1954, was surrounded by farmland on the outskirts of Markham Village. Many residents questioned its location and failed to foresee the future growth of the district. Students from the village walked to school and rural students (living over a mile away) were bussed. There was one room each for typing, industrial arts, home economics, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, two science labs, a library, a staff room and four general classrooms.
 
There were 11 staff including the principal, and approximately 235 students. It was usual for a staff member to teach a student more than one subject and in successive years. This arrangement meant that staff and students knew each other well and as most staff lived in the village they knew the students families also.
 
The curriculum was fixed with very few choices or options. The grade 9 students took English, math, science, history, geography, French, industrial arts or home economics and physical education. The day consisted of eight 40-minute periods with a lunch period. Some subjects were taught every day, others two or three times a week. Latin and Special Commercial were choices after grade 9. Students who earned the required credits received a certificate after grade 10, grade 12 or grade 13. The number of students graduating from grade 13 was small.
 
In July, 1964, construction was started on a vocational addition, which would make Markham District High School a fully composite school. This addition was occupied in September, 1965. Two years later more accommodation was needed, and the latest addition was opened in January, 1970. The enrolment for 1971-1972 in this large, well equipped composite school was approximately eighteen hundred students.
 
 
The school community and alumni celebrated the 50th anniversary of Markham High, at its present location, in the spring of 2004.  
Our school motto is “Labor Omnia Vincit” - “Work Conquers All”  
Our school colours are blue and white.  
Our school mascot is a Marauder (pirate)  
   
Facilities
» Art lab » Lecture Hall
» Auto lab » Music rooms
» Cafeterias » Outdoor fields
» Classrooms » Outdoor Track
» Communication Technology lab » Photography lab
» Community Based Education office » Resource Center
» Computer labs » Science labs
» Construction shop » Sewing room
» Design & Technological labs » Special Education rooms
» Drama » Staff rooms
» Fashion lab » Student Council Office
» Food lab » Student Parking Facilities
» Gathering place "The Blue Zone" » Weight room
» Guidance Room » Wood shop
» Gymnasiums    
 
Computers: Computers are available for student use throughout the school.  
   
Transportation  
The York Region District School Board has a transportation policy that applies to all of its schools.  
Number of students bussed: 700  
Visit www.schoolbuscity.com for more information on bussing.